This morning’s pre-market Initial Jobless claim report was favorable, at 232,000 in the April 14 week. This is 5,000 higher than the mid-March reading which offers a sample-week to sample-week comparison for the monthly employment report. A rise in jobless claims may have sparked talk of a weak April employment report.
- The MSCI Asia Pacific Index climbed 0.5 percent
- Japan’s Topix index closed little changed
- Malaysia’s benchmark FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI Index ended the session at a record high.
- Trading was subdued in Europe – the Stoxx 600 Index was broadly unchanged
- Miners were among the best performers.
- S&P 500 futures were slightly lower
- 10-year Treasury yield was at 2.891%
- Gold was flat.
Bank of New York Mellon Corp. and Blackstone Group are reporting earnings.
More than a generation of Castro rule of Cuba ends today when Miguel Diaz-Canel takes over the presidency from Raul Castro