Don’s Notebook May 17, 2018
The latest Initial Unemployment Claims data tracks the employment report’s sample week and previews what to expect for the May employment report.
- Initial claims in the during last week, (which is also the sample week of the monthly employment report) came in at 222,000 which is higher than expected and up 11,000 from the prior week but a comparison with the sample week of the April employment report shows an 11,000 drop.
Overnight Markets were mixed:
- In Asia, the indexes closed mixed at the end of that trading day.
- The Hang Seng showed the greatest change, down by 0.54%.
- The MSCI Asia Pacific Index slipped 0.2 percent
- Japan’s Topix index closed 0.5 percent higher as the yen held recent losses against the dollar.
- In Europe, the Stoxx 600 Index was 0.2 percent higher this morning with oil producers among the best performers as crude prices continued to rise.
- S&P 500 futures pointed to a slight drop at the open
- Gold was lower
- Earnings Calls Today include: JC Penney, Walmart, Kemet, Vivendi, Applied Materials and Nordstrom