Market Notes: With no economic data due for release, Monday’s focus is likely to be the latest on U.S.-China trade issues.
- Stocks finished last week off on a strong note after another solid day of earnings quieted some tariff concerns.
- The S&P 500 Index was up 0.8% for the week to mark the fifth week in a row of an upward swing.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed out a 0.1% gain for the week.
- The Nasdaq closed the week up 1.0% after Apple’s visit to a $1T market cap level encouraged investors.
- The MSCI Asia Pacific Index stayed steady while Japan’s Topix index closed 0.6 percent lower.
- European stocks were little changed at 5:50 a.m. ET
- The Euro was flat after German manufacturers took a hit in June.
- The pound fell for a third day following the prediction by a key U.K. minister that the nation will face more complications post-Brexit
Report Notes: Economic reports are extremely slow especially when compared with the past several weeks, but there are still a few worth mentioning listed below
- Aug 7: JOLTS
- Aug 9: Jobless Claims
- Aug 9: PPI
- Aug 10: Consumer Price Index
- Aug 10: Treasury Budget
Earnings Notes: Quarterly earnings are tapering off. Some Notables today include Cardinal Health, Etsy, Henry Schein, Sempra Energy, SoftBank Group, Vistra Energy and Zillow Group