Click here to register for the webinar, which begins at 4:30 p.m. ET. There will be no Market Action next Monday, October 15.
Trade options like a star, and get commission rebates! Potential $495 value!
Visit us in Chicago on October 19.
S&P 500 overview
- S&P 500 holding January high, 50DMA
- Bond selloff not bearish for stocks over longer term.
- Bad news of higher rates now priced in. Earnings less priced in than before. Calendar is therefore potentially bullish.
- New leadership emerging in industrials, financials.
- Odds may favor continued uptrend given momentum, technical patterns, economy, earnings calendar.
China Problems Increasingly Known:
- 10/4: Bloomberg reports possible espionage chips in iPhones, AWS.
- 10/4: JPMorgan cuts China to neutral (after going bullish on emerging 7/30)
- 10/4: VP Mike Pence accuses China of election meddling
- 10/5: IPG Photonics (IPGP) craters on weak China business.
- 10/7: China PBOC cuts RRR to spur growth
- 10/8: Stocks crash as market smells blood in water, Caixin says manufacturing weakest in a year.
- Much of this was covered in July on Market Insights.
Troubles in Tech:
- 10/1: SIA’s monthly chip sales for August show smallest gain since Jan 2017.
- 10/3: Tim Cook of AAPL bashes FB/GOOGL on privacy
- 10/4: Bloomberg reports possible chip espionage in iPhones, AWS.
- 10/4: Deutsche Bank warns of cyclical weakness in semiconductors
- 10/8: Raymond James sees chips slowing.
- 10/8: WSJ says GOOGL concealed security breach, fearing regulation.
- On top of these issues, interest rates are rising and other sectors offering growth.
Selected Posts from Market Insights:
- 10/3: Itau Unibanco (ITUB) Nov 14 calls sold
- 10/4: Breakdown of China-Brazil divergence
- 10/5: Petrobras (PBR) Oct 16-17 call spread
- Check out past earnings recaps for ideas into results.
Don’s Earnings Watch List:
- 10/11: Delta Air Lines (DAL): Nice pullback in cyclical name w/ strong earnings track record. Support / Resistance @ $51 / $58
- 10/11: Walgreen Boots (WBA): Hit by Amazon/Pillpack fears, yet lifted by buybacks, dividends. Attention to focus on guidance.
- 10/12: JPMorgan Chase (JPM): Will be closely watched as economy gains.
Support / Resistance @ $112 / $118
- 10/12: Wells Fargo (WFC): Should benefit from steepening curve.
Support / Resistance @ $52 / $55.50
- 10/12: Citigroup (C) still negative for year, with strong earnings history.
Support / Resistance @ $69 / $75
- 10/12: PNC Financial (PNC): Rally potential on strong results, higher rates.
Russell’s Watch List:
- RRC, CHK may gain from natural-gas build.
- PRU, MET breaking 200DMA as curve steepens.
- XPO pullback w/continuation potential
- JWN coming off 50DMA after strong quarter.
- NKE, AMZN at bottom of ranges.
- JEC/FLR: Industrials w/continuation potential.
- Techs pullbacks to consider: SQ, CRM, TWLO, ETSY, OKTA