Click here to register for the webinar, which begins at 4:30 p.m. ET.
S&P Overview: No Clear Signals Yet
- Momentum still very bearish, with no clear sign yet of longer-term bottoming.
- June low of 2692 is level to watch for rebound.
- Risk of continued selling toward 2540-2600 zone, near low for 2018.
- Selling strength (not weakness) is easiest approach.
- Oversold squeezes like 10/23 or 10/25 should also be expected.
- Few positives in economic trends or event calendar.
- However, near-term bottom potentially forming after Friday doji, Monday outside day.
Charting Ideas for Volatile Market
- Always map out key levels. When betting on reversal, try to combine a level with at least one oscillator. For example, peaks of 10/26 and today around 10/23 low. Turns signaled by stochastics and/or MACD.
- Continue to watch 50HMA for sense of direction on @ES.
- For short-term pivot entries, SPY 50-minute MA turns can be useful.
- Play ranges and have discipline not to hope for break.
Volatility in Focus: It Pays to Think Big
- In September, SPY options usually accounted for about 10-12% of total market volume.
- Since October 4, it’s been 15-20% of total options market activity.
- In September, SPY was only ETF in the top 10 symbols for TradeStation clients.
- In October, 5 of 10 busiest symbols at TradeStation are ETFs.
Don’s Watch List
- Coca-Cola (KO), Under Armour (UAA) report tomorrow morning
- Facebook (FB) reports tomorrow afternoon.
- Kellogg (K) reports Wednesday morning
- Exxon Mobil (XOM) reports Friday morning.
Economic News Less Inspiring
- GDP beats but business investment slows.
- Rail traffic, an accurate indicator, slows.
- Fed hawkish: Kaplan, Clarida, Mester, Bostic
- China industrial profits, factory output languish in September.
- In response, $$ shifts to “safe havens” like utilities, consumer staples. Money flees “risk-on” sectors like industrials, techs, materials, energy and chips.
“Growth” Ailing on Many Fronts
- AMZN, GOOGL miss! Click here for more earnings news.
- Semiconductor Industry Association: September chip sales weakest since December 2016. AMD, TXN, TSM hammered.
- Biotech, medical devices sold aggressively this month.
- FDC crash, PYPL lackluster after beat. Are electronic payments at risk?
- Susquehanna: No more silver lining in the cloud?
New Rivalries in Tech, Consumer Discretionary
- AMZN attacks GOOGL/FB in advertising space.
- Target (TGT) challenging AMZN Prime Day.
- MSFT challenging AMZN’s AWS.
- Twitter (TWTR) potentially taking market share from FB
- Read Market Insights for more in coming weeks.
Russell’s Watch List
- 10/25: BHGE Jan 27-23 bearish put spread (45K contracts)
- 10/29: PG Jan 77.50 calls → April 95 calls (20k contracts)
- Philip Morris (PM) trying to break 200-day MA.
- Big pharmas trying to hold: PFE, JNJ, LLY
- DAL, UAL have upside potential after strong numbers, oil decline.
- Oil servicers like HAL, RIG, DO, ESV, BGHE likely have more downside risk.